ZAMBOANGA CITY (Mindanews/11 May) – The city government has declared a dengue outbreak as the number of victims of the mosquito-borne disease reached 732.
The figure covered the period January 1 to April 30 this year, and was higher by 426 cases compared to the same period last year.
Mayor Celso Lobregat, who issued the declaration, said records from the City Health Office showed that dengue cases have reached outbreak level in April requiring urgent measures.
The outbreak threshold for April was 225 cases but the actual reported cases for the month reached 234, according to City Health Officer Dr. Rodelin Agbulos.
Records from Agbulos’ office showed that five barangays registered high number of dengue cases for the first four months this year. These are Guiwan, 51 cases; Canelar, 31; Tugbungan, 57; Tumaga, 63; and San Roque, 47.
Barangays Zambowood, Cabatangan, Sta. Maria, Putik, Mercedes, Sangali, Maasin, Divisoria, Pasobolong, Lumbangan, Rio Hondo and Tetuan also recorded several cases of dengue.
Agbulos noted that the barangays with high number of dengue cases have rivers and cemeteries that serve as breeding sites of dengue-carrying mosquitoes.
To prevent further rise in the number of dengue cases, he said he has scheduled a massive and simultaneous citywide clean up drive on Saturday.
He said they will target the barangays with the most number of dengue cases.
Meanwhile, Lobregat has authorized the release of at least half a million pesos from the emergency funds to purchase larvicides and other chemicals that will be used in the war against the mosquito-borne disease.
The mayor also called on residents to do their part in getting rid of the deadly mosquitoes.
Dengue hemorrhagic fever is an acute infectious disease transmitted by Aedes aegypti, a day-biting mosquito which lays eggs in clear and stagnant water found in flower vases, cans, rain barrels and other vessels.
The adult mosquitoes rest in dark places of the house. (MindaNews)