SURIGAO CITY (MindaNews/23 Aug) – The brother of communist leader Jorge “Ka Oris” Madlos is reiterating the latter’s appeal to President Benigno Simeon Aquino III suspending a warrant of arrest issued against the rebel leader’s son.
The arrest warrant on Vincent Isagani Madlos was issued by the Regional Trial Court Branch 32 in Surigao City on August 6 for “destructive arson,” apparently implicating him in the New People’s Army’s attacks on mining firms in Surigao del Norte last year.
He is also facing robbery charges, which is now filed at the Regional Trial Court Branch 30.
Engr. Vicente Madlos, the elder brother of the spokesperson of the National Democratic Front in Mindanao,” expressed his shock and dismay on the arrest warrant on the younger Madlos, whom he claimed has not committed a crime in his entire life.
The retired employee of the Department of Public Works and Highways is the “legal guardian” to the rebel leader’s son.
He said the news saddened him. “Will you be happy if your son is persecuted when he has not committed a crime?” Madlos said.
He said he was not sure if the issue is political or not, but he believes somebody is pushing Vincent Isagani to be implicated in last year’s NPA attacks.
Vicente said he will be happy if the President will grant his brother’s request on “humanitarian reasons.”
He said they received a copy of the decision on August 13 through their legal counsel, Alfonso P. Casurra. They were shocked when their counsel informed them that the warrant of arrest is now in effect even though there was no notice of preliminary investigation.
Vincent Isagani, according to his uncle, has gone into hiding even a few days before they officially received the court order after a concerned citizen informed the family in advance of the arrest warrant.
Ka Oris’ son was reportedly working in a call center in Cebu during the Oct. 3 NPA attack on three big mining companies in Claver, Surigao del Norte. The 32-year-old computer engineering undergraduate has since stopped working at the call center when cases were filed against him, along with 130 other suspects, sometime in December last year.
“How could he be involved when in that particular event he was in Cebu working? How many bodies can a person have?” Vicente stressed.
Supt. Ruben S. Andiso, police provincial deputy director, confirmed that the warrant of arrest is already in effect. He said it is a “normal police function” to arrest Vincent Isagani. But he said if there will be an order from the President not to arrest the younger Madlos, then they will abide by that order.
Last week, Jorge Madlos issued an appeal to the President to spare his son from political persecution and suspend the arrest warrant.
“I would like to personally appeal to Noynoy Aquino, himself being a victim once of political persecution during the Marcos dictatorship, to lift all false charges leveled against my son, Vincent Isagani P. Madlos, and to allow him freely and safely to be present, as my representative, at the wake and attend the burial of my mother,” Madlos said in a statement circulated to media organizations, including those in his hometown.
Madlos hails from Dapa in Siargao Island, Surigao del Norte.
Jorge is the eighth of the nine children of Dorothea Ravelo-Madlos, who died last August 16 due to liver cancer. Interment will be on Saturday, August 25 in this city.
The rebel leader is himself facing a P5.6-million bounty for his capture. (Vanessa L. Almeda / MindaNews)