Zambo New Year revelry injuries: stray bullets, 3; firecrackers, 40

ZAMBOANGA CITY (MindaNews / 3 Jan) – The City Health Office here has so far recorded three injuries caused by stray bullets and 40 more from firecrackers during the revelries on the eve of New Year’s Day.

This was based on the monitoring of firecracker-related injuries that started December 21 covering all of the hospitals, both public and private, in this city, according to Dr. Rodel Agbulos, the city health officer.

Agbulos said that 35 of them were treated at government hospitals: 29 at the Zamboanga City Medical Center (ZCMC) and six at the Mindanao Central Sanitarium. Three more were treated at the Zamboanga Doctors’ Hospital and two at the Zamboanga Brent Hospital.

The three stray bullet victims, including a woman, were treated at the ZCMC, Agbulos said.

He said that 60 to 70 percent of the victims were injured by the firecracker “piccolo.”

The Department of Health (DOH) has classified piccolo as a dangerous firecracker since it can explode in the hands and may cause death when ingested.

However, Agbulos said this year’s number of firecracker-related injuries is still lower by eight compared to that of the previous year.

He attributed this to the increase of the people’s awareness due to the continuous campaign of the government on the ill effects of firecrackers.

Meanwhile, Agbulos has urged to further strengthen the campaign against the firing of guns during the New Year revelry, noting that stray bullet victims went up to three during the entry of 2013 compared to two in last year’s revelry. (MindaNews)

URL: http://www.mindanews.com/top-stories/2013/01/04/zambo-new-year-revelry-injuries-stray-bullets-3-firecrackers-40/


Instagram #OurMindanao

Related Posts