20 alleged shabu users nabbed in Butuan raid

BUTUAN CITY (MindaNews/22 January) — Twenty people including two women were arrested in a raid on a suspected drug den here Sunday evening.

Police operatives arrested the suspects in the house of Roy Arcenal Segovia, in Purok 1, Barangay Obrero. Nineteen of them were allegedly caught in the act of sniffing shabu or methamphetamine hydrochloride.

Police Senior Inspector Renel Serrano, Police Station 2 Deputy for Administration revealed that the place had been under surveillance for three months prior to the raid.

“After we were sure we got the information we needed we immediately requested a search warrant which was immediately issued by Judge Godofredo Abul Jr., of Regional Trial Court Branch 4. We then coordinated with Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency before the raid,” said Serrano.

He said the personnel at the crime laboratory were still measuring the amount of the suspected shabu seized during the raid.

“We confiscated seven sachets of suspected shabu together with 15 empty sachets with residues. Several aluminum foils, lamps, holders and other paraphernalia’s. On Tuesday, all 20 of the suspects are going to face the judge in court and hopefully we will have the results of the drug test conducted on them,” said Serrano.

Allan Jale, one of the suspects, said that after buying 100 pesos worth of shabu they may use the drug inside Segovia’s house for an additional 10 pesos.

Chief Inspector Rowena Martinez, police station 2 commander said that this year they had increased intelligence effort in the area.

“We have more drug dens in the area. The problem is how to make our case stick in court. That’s why we need more funds and more people who are brave enough and willing to speak out and give out credible information,” said Martinez.

Barangay Obrero council member Cesar Berdera praised the police for the recent arrests saying drug use is prevalent in the place as reported by the residents themselves.

He said he was glad one of the suspected drug dens had been dealt with but urged the police to sustain their effort. (Erwin Mascarinas/MindaNews)

 

URL: http://www.mindanews.com/top-stories/2013/01/22/20-alleged-shabu-users-nabbed-in-butuan-raid/

Related Posts

There are no related posts on this entry.