Dengue afflicts Zambo evacuees

ZAMBOANGA CITY (MindaNews/04 February) – At least 23 cases of dengue have been recorded so far among evacuees at the Joaquin Enriquez Sports Complex, City Health Officer Dr. Rodelin Agbulos on Monday said.

The report prompted Agbulos to advise the evacuees to observe cleanliness to contain the disease.

The sports complex has served as the biggest evacuation center for families displaced in the September 2013 standoff between government forces and the Moro National Liberation Front Misuari faction.

“We urge the IDPs to help keep the evacuation centers clean to prevent the spread of infections,” Agbulos said.

As of Monday the sports complex still housed 1,856 families or 12,675 individuals based on the latest record of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).

The rest of the evacuees numbering 2,507 families or 13,805 individuals were staying in 13 other evacuation centers.

Agbulos and Mayor Ma. Isabelle Climaco-Salazar led five days ago a clean-up drive at the evacuation centers.

Health personnel fumigated the evacuation sites and poured salt into stagnant water where dengue-carrying mosquitoes would likely breed.

Salazar told the evacuees cleaning their surroundings is for their own welfare.

Meanwhile, Agbulos said they were constantly monitoring the drinking water to prevent other diseases.

He said they have also advised the evacuees to immediately seek medical help at the health centers if they feel they have contracted a disease. (MindaNews)

URL: http://www.mindanews.com/top-stories/2014/02/04/dengue-afflicts-zambo-evacuees/

Related Posts