Zambo City mayor warns residents as typhoon Henry enters PAR  

ZAMBOANGA CITY (Mindanews/20 July) – The city government has warned the residents in low-lying areas and along river banks and shorelines to take precautionary measures as typhoon Henry entered the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR).

Mayor Ma. Isabelle Climaco-Salazar issued the warning Sunday citing this city will experience cloudy skies with occasional rain showers, thunderstorms and winds.

Salazar also urged the barangay officials, volunteers, police and military forces “to monitor water level in rivers and overall situation in their areas of jurisdiction.”

“In case of emergency, call the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) at (062)926-58-55 or +63917-711-35-36 or +63918-935-78-58 for response and proper coordination with concerned agencies,” Salazar said.

“Let us always stay vigilant but calm. Let us pray that the city of Zamboanga will be out of danger from the wrath of typhoon Henry and other calamities,” she added.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) in its 4 p.m. advisory on Sunday said the eye of Typhoon Henry was located at 500 km east of Legazpi City with maximum sustained winds of 120 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 150 kph and is forecast to move Northwest at 15 kph.

Moderate to strong winds blowing from the north to northeast will prevail over Luzon and coming from the southwest to west over Visayas and Mindanao. The coastal waters throughout the archipelago will be moderate to rough, PAGASA said.

Salazar’s warning came three days after she ordered an investigation on what caused the massive flashflood last Thursday in barangay Sangali which rendered hundreds homeless and resulted to millions of pesos in destroyed property and crops.

The investigation will be conducted by the City Engineer’s Office, Office of the City Agriculturist, and the Office of the City Environment and Natural Resources (OCENR).

Social Welfare records showed that 144 families comprising of 580 individuals were evacuated to the Sangali barangay hall, health center and the Vocational Technical School.

Salazar has recently activated the CDRRMO ad interim purposely to set direction, development, implementation and coordination of disaster risk management program in this city.

Some rescue equipment that include aluminum ladder, chainsaw, communication equipment, portable generators, bolt cutter and microphone with siren had already arrived while the construction of the CDRRMC building is now 95 percent complete.

Others like tents, towerlight, backhoe and grader are expected to arrive soon while the two rescue boats with engine and trailer and six rescue boats without engines have been submitted for bidding. (MindaNews)

URL: http://www.mindanews.com/top-stories/2014/07/20/zambo-city-mayor-warns-residents-as-typhoon-henry-enters-par/

Related Posts