5 civilians hurt in Maguindanao attacks; BIFF blamed

DATU PIANG, Maguindanao (MindaNews/15 August) – Five civilians were hurt in recent attacks by suspected members of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters in Maguindanao.

One of the victims was Amir Mulod, 15, who was wounded when an explosive hit their house in Barangay Buayan in this town on Tuesday night.

Abelin Mulod, the boy’s father, said the explosive landed on their house of Abedin Mulod while they were about to sleep.

He said aside from wounding his son the blast, apparently from a mortar, also damaged his house and its impact tossed him outside.

“In Allah’s grace I was lucky I wasn’t hurt despite the hundreds of shrapnel that hit and damages my house,” the elder Mulod said.

The incident coincided with simultaneous attacks by alleged BIFF rebels on Task Force Reina Rehente detachments Buayan and Magaslong, another barangay in Datu Piang.

Mulod said he did not know who to blame for the incident.

Two other houses in the area were hit with shrapnel too.

Noontime the next day, an improvised explosive device exploded in Barangay Sambulawan in Datu Salibo town wounding four civilians.

The IED was planted at a portion of the highway near a populated area.

6th Army Division Spokesman Col. Dickson Hermoso said the explosion was the handiwork of the BIFF and was meant for troops belonging to the 2nd Mechanized Battalion who passed by the area.

But the BIFF said it was the military that planted the bomb, an accusation the military denied.

The BIFF had been reported to have attacked military posts in Datu Piang and Shariff Saydona towns since last week. (Ferdinandh B. Cabrera/MindaNews)

URL: http://www.mindanews.com/top-stories/2014/08/15/5-civilians-hurt-in-maguindanao-attacks-biff-blamed/

Related Posts