DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/09 August) – The city government might reopen on Wednesday night the popular Roxas night market if the vendors promised not to break the rules and comply with the agreement, an official of the City Traffic and Transportation Management office (CTTMO) said.
In a press release Monday from the City Information Office, CTTMO chief Rhodelio Poliquit said Mayor Sara Duterte has yet to approve the reopening of the night market which was closed Wednesday last week.
He said they will implement a new ID system to prevent street vendors from occupying several stalls and ensure only those who are in the master list will occupy the night market.
“We cannot prevent some erring vendors, but at least, we can minimize because we cannot really tolerate them,” he said.
Poliquit met with vendors on Monday at the Davao City Recreation Center, which was the first of a series of meeting to address the issues and concerns after Mayor Duterte ordered its closure Wednesday last week.
Among the violations cited were the refusal to follow the one-family-one-stall rule; insisting on their preferred locations; management of stalls by “dummy” vendors; and sub-leasing stalls to other vendors.
There were vendors, too, who claimed they have bought rights over preferred stalls and insisted on “selling even if they were not in the official the list of allowed sellers.
“Dapat kung kinsa ang naa sa master list mao pud to ang mahatagan og ID, kay kung lahi ang nag-ID, pasabot gibaligya na niya (Those in the master list should receive an ID because if others have the ID, it means they sold the IDs to other vendors),” Poliquit said.
He added the city will deny any vendors the right to sell if they would be found selling their slots to other persons.
The closure of the night market affected some 700 vendors. From January to July 2016, it generated some P2.98 million in sales. (Antonio L. Colina IV/MindaNews)