MNLF to meet gov't, OIC on peace pact implementation

Misuari said the meeting aims to create a special committee that will be tasked to rectify the flaws in the implementation of the final peace agreement between the government and MNLF.

He said they may also tackle laws which might have hindered the full implementation of the pact.

He asserted that the MNLF remains as the legitimate representative of the Bangsamoro people and that it is duly recognized by the OIC.

The current state of the peace negotiation between the government and Moro Islamic Liberation Front, if not properly addressed, might affect the delivery of what is expected from the government-MNLF accord, he added.

Misuari said he would subscribe to the opinion of his advisers that regardless of what happens to the government-MILF talks, the government is still bound to the terms of the FPA.

“This is legal,” he said. 

Misuari yesterday visited relatives and comrades in Lanao del Norte “to see their situation in person and to know how they’ve been.”

“It’s been a long while that I have not seen them that’s why I decided to see them here in Kauswagan town to know their situation. It’s a happy reunion,” said Misuari in a mobile phone conversation with MindaNews.

He said he also met comrades who have become either soldiers or policemen.

The MNLF leader said he talked with Col. Benito de Leon, the commanding officer of 104th Infantry Brigade whose unit consists of 60 percent MNLF integrees.

He called De Leon an “asset for peace” noting the military official’s involvement in the resolution of cases of rido (vendetta killings).

“Our meeting was cordial. He is an amiable fellow who is straightforward and is much respected by his comrades,” De Leon said of Misuari.

“As I introduced my three Muslim officers, who are product of the integration program, he [Misuari] was happy to know that his former men are now captains in the Army, that I have four of them as my staff, that about 60 percent of my men are former MNLFs most of whom are his provincemates,” the colonel said.

“He stressed that his visit was part of the consultations to attain a peaceful solutions in Mindanao conflict,” he added.

The 104th Brigade has been trying to hunt down MILF commander Abdurahman Macapaar a.k.a. Bravo, who reportedly led an attack against Kauswagan and Kolambugan towns in Lanao del Norte on August 18 last year.

Capt. Jullakman Muhalli, of the civil military office and an integree, said that the military has integrated 250 officers and 5,000 enlisted personnel from the ranks of the MNLF.

The Philippine National Police has integrated 2,500 former MNLF fighters. (Violeta M. Gloria/MindaNews)

Comments

comments