In a press statement, Sison posed this challenge as a way of verifying the statements of “the most dishonest and cowardly generals who are good at faking electoral results and battle reports and killing unarmed legal activists and civilians.”
At the same time, the Netherlands-based rebel leader said President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo would omit mentioning in her State of the Nation Address “the growing failure of her all-out war policy and Oplan Bantay Laya since 2001 and the increasingly effective tactical offensives of the NPA on a nationwide scale.”
Arroyo declared last month an “all-out war” against the New People’s Army, vowing to crush the 37-year-old rebellion in one to two years.
Sison also hit the government for “repeatedly claiming for so many days already that the New People’s Army (NPA) is poised to infiltrate and attack anti-Arroyo rallies” and for reviving charges accusing him of masterminding the 1971 Plaza Miranda bombing.
He said that on March 2, 1994 the prosecutor’s office of the city of Manila, dismissed “as pure speculation the charge of multiple murder brought against me by the military in 1991 in connection with the aforesaid 1971 bombing.”
He further noted that on April 20, 1998 the GRP secretary of justice issued a certification stating that there was no pending criminal case against him. (H. Marcos C. Mordeno/MindaNews)