Shiela Covarrubias, City Information Officer, said 14 coastal villages and island barangays in the city had been placed under a state of calamity.
As of 2 p.m. Wednesday, a total of 7,514 persons had been listed by the City Disaster Coordinating Council (CDCC) as temporarily staying in evacuation centers, barangay halls. covered courts and schools.
Among the 14 barangays, the westernmost village of Labuan is the most affected, with close to 1,000 huts destroyed.
“The City government through CDCC and the City Social Welfare and Development (CSWD) Office has been doing the rounds of rounding all the evacuation centers since last night, providing immediate assistance like food and clothing to the affected families,” she said.
But some affected villages are still waiting for enough assistance.
“The situation (in the evacuation center) is very sad. Although the CSWD distributed some goods, these were not enough for families here,” said Sulaiman Jailani, a youth volunteer in Barangay Mariki.
Jailani and his group, the Muslim Youth Assembly for Peace, listed more than 400 houses damaged in the Moro-dominated villages of Mariki and Rio Hondo.
Jailani said they also received reports about missing person. “We are still helping in the search,” he said. (Nung Aljani/Mindanews)