Zubiri to swap post with vice gov in 2010

So Zubiri would run for vice governor while Calingasan, the former mayor of Libona town, would be the standard bearer.

Zubiri said 2010 line up would be composed of “young” politicians, mostly in their 40s.

Though it might sound too early, the governor admitted he has been consulting people about his plans since he started his traditional barangay visits last year. He has since floated Calingasan as his preferred successor.

In the visits to 31 barangays here starting last week, officials in Zubiri's party confirmed the plan.

Zubiri said he could not leave Bukidnon behind because of the unpeace in neighboring provinces. 

He said he has established ties with Moro leaders to help keep peace in the province. Among them was the late businessman Datu Ibrahim “Toto” Paglas III.

"If I leave, I'm afraid problem will get in," he said.

It was radio anchor Diomides "Boy" Demit who opened the topic on the governor's plan for 2010.

Zubiri's visits to Bukidnon's barangays, already at 337 out of 464 as of January 23, has been noted for consultations on infrastructure projects of the provincial government. 

Accompanying Zubiri's party is a group of engineers who monitors implementation of projects approved in previous years and inspection of projects to be assessed for implementation.

Hundreds of residents in each barangay attend the consultations held in covered courts or plazas. 

But a big portion of the program is spent on introduction of the governor's party, local officials from the barangay, town, or city and the provincial board members. 

Local councilors or board members coming from the town where the barangay is located take turns in working as emcee. The emcee then introduces each official, citing his achievements and the position he aspires to pursue in 2010. (Walter I. Balane / MindaNews)

Comments

comments