180 families rendered homeless by Good Friday fire

Image
A couple salvages GI roofing materials from a fire that gutted 180 shanties in Barangay Saray, Iligan’s version of Tondo. MindaNews photo by Bobby Timonera

The fire, residents said may have been caused by unattended “binignit” (also known as tabirak), a favorite Holy Week dish.

Image
Two men return back a video karera machine, a contraband gambling equipment, which they were able to save from the fire that gutted 158 shanties in Barangay Saray, Iligan’s version of Tondo. MindaNews photo byBobby Timonera

Perly Mantos, emergency program coordinator of the city’s Social Welfare and Development said 180 families were affected by the fire, with 604 dependents.

The barangay captain is among the fire victims.


At present, the fire victims are sheltered at the barangay gymnasium.

Monsignor Jemar Vera Cruz of  the Diocese of Iligan said it is unfortunate that the fire occurred on a Good Friday. “Jesus Christ suffered with them,” he said.

He said the church will also find means to provide assistance to the fire victims. (Violeta M.  Gloria/MindaNews)

Comments

comments