11 rescued from Compostela Valley mine landslide

Edgar Salanio, OCD Southeastern Mindanao information officer, said the miners were extracting ore when the tunnel's entrance was suddenly covered when the soil loosened and slipped due to heavy rains in the mine site in Barangay Mainit.

According to the OCD report signed by Minda C. Morante, OCD 11 regional director, the miners, who were trapped since 6p.m. Thursday, were unharmed when rescued at around 4a.m. Friday.

An OCD response staff told MindaNews other miners cleared the covered entrance and helped the victims pass through an emergency exit.

Rescuers communicated with the trapped miners through a hose that also served as passage for air.

A certain Agri Sibusa reportedly owns and runs the mine site.

Salanio said the incident should serve as another warning to miners who insist on working despite heavy rains. He urged them to monitor the weather first before proceeding to work.

The OCD reiterated its warning for miners not to operate yet as rains continue to pour in Mindanao due to the inter-tropical convergence zone (ITCZ).

He said the warning holds true for all mine sites especially in Diwalwal, Monkayo town, Boringot, Pantukan and in Nabunturan which are considered ‘unsafe’.

The warning alerts, he said, had been stressed to disaster coordinating councils from the provincial down to the barangay level.