Minor blast, says police official of failed bomb attack against Gov. Dominguez

GENERAL SANTOS CITY (MindaNews/26 April) – The roadside bomb attack on a convoy of Sarangani Gov. Miguel Rene Dominguez before noon Monday was reportedly considered a minor blast as only the explosive’s blasting cap went off, police officials said late Monday afternoon.

Senior Supt. Restito Gatera, Sarangani police director, said results of their investigation showed that the bomb’s main component, a live 105mm mortar shell, did not explode when the governor’s convoy passed by a bridge in Barangay Lun Masla in Malapatan town at around 11:40 am Monday.

“The bomb’s trigger failed so only the blasting cap exploded. It’s considered a minor explosion,” he told reporters.

No one was reported hurt in the attack, which happened while the governor‘s group was on its way back to the provincial capitol in Alabel town.

Dominguez, who is seeking reelection for his third straight term as Sarangani governor under the administration coalition Lakas-Kampi-CMD-Sarangani Reconciliation and Reformation Organization (Sarro), proceeded to the coastal municipality of Glan early Monday to look into the alleged assassination attempt on close ally Mayor Enrique Yap.

Gatera said members of the explosive and ordnance division (EOD) found the 105mm mortar shell and its other components still intact when they responded to the scene.

He said the bomb was planted inside the toolbox of a red Yamaha Crypton motorcycle, which was parked on the right side at the other end of the Lun Masla bridge.

The EOD team recovered a Motorola two-way radio, which was used as the bomb’s triggering device, he said.

“(The bomb) could have caused major damage to the passing convoy if it exploded completely. Fortunately that did not happen,” the police official said.

Gatera said they are currently investigating several leads regarding the attack but he did not elaborate further.

He said police investigators are now trying to locate the owner of the abandoned motorcycle that was used in the attack.

Gatera said a witness initially told police investigators that an unidentified person reportedly parked the motorcycle near the edge of the Lun Masla Bridge prior to the explosion

He added the same person then acted like calling somebody through his mobile phone before hastily leaving the scene. (Allen V. Estabillo/MindaNews)