No Christmas parties in CDO, MisOr

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (MindaNews/22 December) – The local government units of Cagayan de Oro City and Misamis Oriental decided not to hold any form of Christmas gatherings and parties as a way of expressing sympathy to the victims of the flash floods brought about by Typhoon Sendong that hit mostly in Northern Mindanao.

“How can we be merry in these difficult times and the disaster?” Mayor Vicente Emano said.

He said that he will not even light up the Christmas lights that were installed before the storm hit the city and thanked private individuals who helped by giving donations for the typhoon survivors.

“We have so far collected P14 million worth of donations. We will distribute these soon,” he added.

Officials and employees at the provincial capitol likewise shared the same prudence in view of the recent calamity.

Maricel Rivera, the province’s media relations officer, said that the capitol has conducted widespread relief operations, with the Office of the Administrator serving as the “command center” to ensure coordination. “We are also accepting donations from donors,” she added.

On the evening of December 16, Sendong has flooded and devastated about 38 Barangays in the city including nearby towns of Misamis Oriental as well as Iligan City.

As of 6 p.m. Wednesday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC), reported that about 950 victims have been confirmed dead – 650 of which were from Cagayan de Oro and Misamis Oriental, and 283 from Iligan City.

As of today, rescuers are still conducting rescue operations while relief operations are still going. (MindaNews)

Comments

comments