MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/06 January) – Caraga Region in Northeastern Mindanao got the highest number of people affected by floods spawned by heavy rains since last week, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said in a report released 12 noon today.
The NDRRMC report said 68,101 families or 352,942 persons have been displaced by the floods in the region.
Caraga covers the coastal provinces of Agusan del Norte, Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur and the inland province of Agusan del Sur.
In terms of the number of families affected, Agusan del Sur has been the hardest hit so far with 29,971 families or 137,418 individuals affected. The victims came from 132 barangays of eight municipalities.
Surigao del Sur had fewer families but a higher number of individuals affected. The report said 26,060 families or 155,471 persons had been displaced from 124 barangays of 18 municipalities and Bislig City.
Caraga Region also reported the biggest number of deaths, mostly due to drowning. As of Thursday noon, 15 had died – two in Butuan City, one in Surigao del Norte, four in Surigao del Sur, and eight in Agusan del Sur. Three others died in other provinces of Mindanao –one each in Baroy, Lanao del Norte; Mt. Diwata, Compostela Valley; and Sta. Maria, Davao del Sur. Nationwide the casualty figure was 26 as of this report. (See related story)
Meanwhile, according to the same NDRRMC report, floods had displaced 1,466 families or 6,655 persons from 14 barangays in the towns of Tubod, Baroy and Lala.
In Region 11, a total of 1,632 families or 8,026 individuals were affected in the provinces of Compostela Valley, Davao del Norte, Davao Oriental and Davao del Sur.
Two towns in Maguindanao, Talayan and Datu Anggal Midtimbang, were also flooded, affecting 2,428 families or 12,140 persons from 16 barangays. (MindaNews)