At least 60 scholars, taking up agriculture courses, would stand to benefit from the proceeds of the tournament organized in memory of the late Guillermo E. Torres Sr.
“They have been beneficiary right from the start and now we are on our 20th year,” said Edgardo Castillo, senior executive vice president of the University of Mindanao Broadcasting Network and GET Golf organizing committee official.
The money, he said, will be used to shoulder the tuition fees and board and lodging expenses of the scholars.
The one-day golfest, which is open to all male and female amateur golfers 21 years old and above, follows an 18-hole stable ford team and individual competition format.
Close to 300 golfers, including those from neighboring places, are expected to see action.
A P1-million hole-in-one prize sponsored by an insurance company is up for grabs in the tournament, which has regular prizes like motorcycles and appliances.
Apart from the P1 million, a whooping P500,000 also awaits the lucky player who can score a rare ace in holes No. 7, 11 and 17.
City officials and Dabawenyos occupying national government positions are among the invited guests to grace the ceremonial tee-off set at 11 a.m.
Leading the list are Mayor Rodrigo Duterte and House Speaker Prospero “Boy” Nograles.
Incoming Press Secretary Jess Dureza and Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) chairman William Ramirez are also invited.
“We are hopeful that they will all come,” Castillo told sports journalists during the Davao Sportswriters Association Forum Thursday last week.
Castillo said there will be no more singers who usually entertain the golfers in the awarding rites to save money for the beneficiaries.
“We have decided not to have entertainers so that we can give more to our beneficiaries,” he stressed.
The Royal Mandaya Hotel will host the event’s awarding rites that evening at 6:30 p.m. (Rico Biliran / MindaNews)