MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/14 Jan) – Bukidnon Gov. Alex Calingasan vowed to cut the extra cash gifts, or what is now known as the performance enhancement incentives, the provincial government intends to give to its employees in December 2011.
Calingasan said last week the amount is “too big”.
He explained that he approved the same amount last December because he did not want the employees to think he is veering too soon from former Governor and now Vice Gov. Jose Ma. R. Zubiri’s popular move to give P80,000.
The governor said he could reduce the amount and free more funds for livelihood projects, which could spread the province’s savings to more constituents.
He told capitol employees about the plan during the January 10 Monday convocation program. He said starting the first month of the year he would already condition their minds about the cut so they can prepare for it.
He told MindaNews he might cut the bonus by half.
The provincial government of Bukidnon released a total of P184.92 million for extra cash, reliable sources at the Capitol who asked not to be named said.
All elected and appointive officials, regular and casual employees numbering 2,286 received P80,000 each based on a computation by MindaNews. Fifty-one “job order” employees got P40,000 each.
The total amount for the incentives is even greater than the combined 2011 allocations for Provincial Indigency Health Project at P17.8 million, the Provincial Housing and Resettlement Office at P5.87 million, and the special education fund of P37 million, including P24.37 million for construction, rehabilitation, repair and completion of school buildings and other structures.
Calingasan also warned capitol employees to avoid going to his office to lobby for their children and relatives to be hired in the provincial government. He said the positions must be spread to as many families. (Walter I. Balane / MindaNews)