Missing American released by kidnappers in Marawi

ILIGAN CITY (MindaNews/13 April) – An American treasure hunter reported missing last January in Cagayan de Oro City surfaced in Marawi City this afternoon after he was released by his abductors, the military said.

Milton Taylor, in his 60s, was released in Marawi’s Barangay Cabingan after long negotiations, according to Col. Daniel Lucero, commanding officer of the Army’s 103rd Infantry Brigade based in Kampo Ranao in Marawi City.

Lucero said Taylor was brought to the Amai Pakpak Hospital in Marawi for check before he was brought to Cagayan de Oro City and handed over to Mayor Vicente Emano.

Reports said Taylor was last seen on January 11 at Lamar Inn in Cagayan de Oro where he was billeted since his arrival December last year. His belongings, his passport included, were reportedly in his room when he was already reported missing.

Officials in Cagayan de Oro suspected that Taylor may have run away from his debts as his hotel bill has reached P25,000.

Authorities claimed no ransom was paid for Taylor’s release. But Lucero has said earlier that kidnapping in Lanao del Sur and Marawi City has become “a lucrative cottage industry” wherein kidnappers victimize businessmen from Iligan and Cagayan de Oro.

Ferrer said that they received world from the United States Embassy last January that an American was kidnapped and brought to Balo-i in Lanao del Norte. The military, however, had not validated the information. (MindaNews)