MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/19 July) – Wearing a bullet-proof vest and dark glasses, former Maguindanao election supervisor Lintang Bedol this morning turned himself in to Commission on Elections Chair Sixto Brillantes Jr..
But Bedol, who had been dodging a 6-month prison term since 2007 for indirect contempt filed by the Comelec, refused to divulge the contents of affidavits he had executed in relation to alleged anomalies in the 2004 presidential and 2007 senatorial elections.
Aside from saying “hello, kumuta na kayo” and waving his hand, Bedol was silent throughout the press briefing at the Comelec central office aired live on ANC.
Brillantes also refused to reveal the contents of Bedol’s affidavits pending review by the Commission.
Roberto Ultado Jr., Bedol’s legal counsel said his client is willing to serve his 6-month sentence, adding the former poll official surrendered to the Department of Interior and Local Government on Friday yet.
“I think he (Bedol) came out voluntarily, gusto na talaga niyang lumabas,” Brillantes said.
The indirect contempt charge came after Bedol refused to appear in hearings at the Comelec in 2007 in relation to the senatorial elections held that year where lawyer Aquilino Pimentel III claimed he was cheated of the 12th and last winning spot by Senator Juan Miguel Zubiri.
An hour after holding an en banc meeting after Bedol’s presentation to the media the Comelec decided to detain Bedol at the custodial center of the Philippine National Police in Camp Crame.
Brillantes said Bedol’s sentence would start today. (MindaNews)