MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/08 September) – It is difficult to monitor the compliance of beneficiaries with the terms of the conditional cash transfer scheme or Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) of the Department of Social Welfare and Development, Christopher Capinpin, the program’s provincial coordinator, admitted to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan Wednesday.
Capinpin appeared before the provincial board to answer queries on the status of the program’s implementation in the province amid reports there were recipients who were not qualified, and if qualified, did not use the fund assistance as intended by the program.
“Dili gyud tanan ma-monitor ang compliance,” (We can’t completely monitor compliance) Capinpin said.
He reported that a total of P86.864 million was distributed to 49,130 recipients in 18 of the 20 towns and two cities in the province so far this year.
4Ps seeks to alleviate poverty by providing cash subsidy supposedly to the poorest households to improve their health, nutrition and education especially of children ages 0 to 14 years.
Capinpin cited that they have hired municipal links or coordinators to check on the compliance of the recipients. But he cited that every coordinator has to monitor about 900 to 1,300 families.
“It is very difficult to control compliance for 100 percent. We just rely on their (coordinator’s) own strategy,” he said.
He said they are holding monthly meetings called “family development sessions”, where they would check how the recipients spend the cash assistance.
“In the meeting, we orient them on the proper use of the funds,” he told the provincial board.
Vice Gov. Jose Ma. R. Zubiri Jr. noted the “management flaws” experienced by DSWD in implementing the project.
He cited that some persons who are not qualified are in the list while others who are qualified are not.
Arsenio Alagenio, Bukidnon provincial social welfare officer, said the survey conducted by DSWD in 2008 as basis for the list was erroneous.
Capinpin said they have received a list of about 400 recipients in Bukidnon who should be excluded, including teachers, other professionals and some businessmen.
He announced that within the year, they expect the cities of Malaybalay and Valencia and the towns of Manolo Fortich and Maramag to be included in the program. (Walter I. Balane/MindaNews)