MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/11 November) – Damage to properties caused by the 5.2-intensity quake on Monday in Valencia City, Bukidnon had reached a total of P7.688 million, according to partial estimates of the City Engineer’s Office as quoted in the November 9 report of the Valencia City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.
A total of 115 houses were damaged, mostly in Barangays Poblacion and Barobo with the cost of the damage placed at P7.149 million and P492,000, respectively.
The CDRRMC report cited that damage to fisheries and agriculture reached P47,545.
Jovy Ellacone, CDRRMC point person said they were yet to finish assessing the damage to commercial establishments.
He cited lack of manpower for the job of determining the extent of the damage, which is required before calamity funds could be released.
Ellacone said that in the CDRRMC meeting Thursday, they proposed the release of an initial P750,000 for the victims’ hospitalization or medication, food assistance and shelter rehabilitation.
As of November 8, the CDRRMC accounted 31 persons injured in the quake, 14 of whom were confined in hospitals.
City officials described the quake as the worst that hit the city so far in years.
Board member Ranulfo Pepito, who hails from Valencia City, said an earthquake of the same intensity occurred in the 1970s. (Walter I. Balane/MindaNews)