DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/18 December) — Mayor Sara Duterte has called for a special session of the City Council tomorrow (Monday) to pass an ordinance authorizing the release of a portion of the city’s calamity fund for assistance to flood victims in the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan.
Duterte told MindaNews she called for a special session at 10 a.m. on for the immediate release of the financial assistance.
“We are still waiting for the official tally of the Department of Social Welfare and Development before we can compute how much and/or what to give,” she said.
During the special session, the executive department will submit to the City Council the proposed amount for donation.
Davao City, which also suffered from a major flooding in late June still has P87.3 million in calamity funds, inclusive of the augmentation from the newly-approved supplemental budget.
This would be the second time in three months that the city government is extending financial assistance to calamity-stricken local government units.
The City Council on October 5 authorized the mayor to donate P7.4 million for the victims of typhoons Pedring and Quiel.
The financial aid can be utilized for relief operations and provision of emergency assistance to victims of flood such as provision of temporary shelter, distribution of relief goods and commodities, rehabilitation, reconstruction of public facilities and other infrastructure.
Sec. 5 of the Implementing Rules and Regulations of the Local Government Code says the local government unit can “provide financial assistance to other local government units whose area or portion thereof had been declared under state of calamity by its Sanggunian.” (MindaNews)