TF Ranao files cases vs illegal loggers in Lanao Sur

ZAMBOANGA CITY (Mindanews/22 January) – Task Force Ranao  has filed two cases and will file 20 more against groups allegedly responsible for  logging in Lanao del Sur despite the ban, Col. Daniel Lucero, commander of the 103rd Infantry Brigade and head of Task Force Ranao, announced Sunday.

Lucero hinted that some of those involved in illegal cutting of trees are government officials, including barangay officials. “They will be charged for illegal logging,” he said.

The task force was reactivated to combat all forms of criminalities, including illegal logging, in Lanao.

Lucero said one of the two cases was filed against a group in Tamparan, a 5th class municipality in Lanao del Sur province and the other was against a group based in Marawi City, the province’s capital.

He said they have confiscated 52,357.9 board feet of illegally cut logs since they launched a campaign against illegal loggers in Lanao del Sur earlier this month.

“These cut logs could cover a land area of 19.5 hectares if planted four meters apart,” he said.

The task force also shut down seven sawmills in the municipality of Kapai, Lanao del Sur.

Logging in Lanao del Sur has been blamed for the December 16-17 flash floods in Iligan and Cagayan de Oro cities, triggered by tropical Storm Sendong. (MindaNews)

Comments

comments