MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/13 March) – A seven-year old girl died of meningococcemia in as remote village in Kibawe, Bukidnon yesterday, Dr. Helen Rose Tubog, municipal rural health officer told MindaNews via telephone.
Tubog did not reveal the identity of the girl but assured that they have provided preventive medicines to all those who possibly had contacts with her.
The victim, she added, was a Grade 2 pupil.
The girl died at the Bukidnon Provincial Hospital in Kibawe around 3p.m. Monday and was buried around 8a.m. in their village Tuesday.
Tubog said she made sure the casket was not opened when it reached the village after it was discharged from the hospital.
She added she sent a nurse, a sanitary inspector, and a police officer to join the family on their way home to ensure public safety.
But Tubog could not assure no other persons were infected as they were still observing those who were in contact with the victim.
According to the Department of Health, the disease is curable and could only be transmitted through direct contact or exposure with the infected person.
Meningococcemia is caused by spread of the bacteria into the bloodstream. Among its symptoms are fever, stiff neck, convulsion, delirium, altered mental status, vomiting, cough, sore throat and other respiratory infections.
The most devastating form of meningococcemia is fulminant meningococcemia which consists of hemorrhagic rashes, drop in blood pressure and circulating shock leading to death, according to the DOH website. (Walter I. Balane / MindaNews)