Flood victims in Kidapawan get assistance

KIDAPAWAN CITY (MindaNews/ 13 July) – Twenty-nine families, whose houses were totally destroyed by rampaging floodwater last month, received cash assistance from the city government yesterday (Thursday).

Erlinda Doblas, city social welfare officer, said they released at least P110,000 to assist the flood victims.

Each of the 12 families whose houses were totally wrecked by floods received P5,000 and P3,000 for each of the 17 families whose houses or concrete fences were partially damaged.

The distribution of the cash assistance came after Doblas appeared before members of the Sangguniang Panlunsod during their regular session.

Vice Mayor Joseph Evangelista and members of the council witnessed the release of the assistance.

Doblas told the council that Mayor Rodolfo Gantuangco, chair of the City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council, decided how much cash the victims would receive out of the P1 million calamity fund.

Of the amount released last June 22 after the city was declared under a state of calamity, P413,000 was allotted to the City Social Welfare and Development Office.

The rest were given to the City Engineering Office for repairs of roads, bridges and other infrastructures and the City Health Office for medicine procurement.

Doblas said they had extended food and other relief items to more than 200 flood victims in the city a day after the June 12 floods, which residents said was the worst since 2005.

The city DSWD has yet to distribute school items to children whose bags and other supplies were swept by floodwater.

“We’re still completing the list so we would know how much funds would be allotted for the school children,” said Doblas. (Malu Cadelina Manar/MindaNews)

Comments

comments