MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/3 Aug) – Gov. Alex Calingasan and Vice Gov. Jose Ma. R. Zubiri Jr. made peace in a meeting last month with the mediation of a group, among them businessman John Perrine, Calingasan said Friday after he taped his weekly “Ang Bukidnon Karon” (Bukidnon Now) Program, which airs on DXDB.
Calingasan said he will vie for vice governor in next year’s elections.
The two politicians, who swapped positions in 2010 after completing their three terms, shared an on and off political relationship, peaking up in a supposed split in June when Zubiri accused Calingasan of conniving with his political enemies.
For one, Zubiri accused Calingasan of bankrolling a radio commentator’s alleged demolition job on air. Calingasan denied it.
The supposed falling out fueled talks of Calingasan allegedly getting support for his candidacy opposite Zubiri for governor in 2013. Zubiri declared that Calingasan can run in 2013 but not with him in his political party, the Bukidnon Paglaum Party, which has pending application with the Commission on Elections.
There have been no confirmations yet if Zubiri and Calingasan will be running mates.
Board member Nemesio Beltran Jr., Zubiri’s party mate, confirmed that Zubiri has made alliances with the Acostas and Sen. Teofisto Guingona III, who both belonged to the Liberal Party.
Calingasan told this reporter he is on a “wait and see” position but admitted he will submit to the unity espoused by the alliance.
Earlier, the Bukidnon chapter of the League of Mayors in the Philippines passed a resolution supporting a Zubiri-Calingasan tandem, a repeat of the 2001, 2004 and 2007 tickets. Only 16 of the 22 mayors signed the resolution, a MindaNews source said. (Walter I. Balane / MindaNews)