4 killed in Maguindanao firefight despite gun ban

TACURONG CITY (MindaNews / 13 Jan) – Tension remains high in the town of Datu Piang, Maguindanao as dozens of families were forced to leave their homes after warring clans engaged in an intense gun battle that left four people killed. The incident happened during the implementation of gun ban.

Military reports said the group of Commander Benaw and Commander Duma, who have links to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), attacked their long time adversary Commander Quiapo, a former Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) commander, in the village of Damabalas Saturday morning.

The source said there has been a long feud among the warring parties. The motive is reportedly to avenge the death of the relatives of Benaw and Duma, who were killed by Quiapo in Datu Piang last year.

Police officials in the area remain mum on the incident by not responding to calls and text messages.

The firefight that started around 5:30 a.m. lasted for several minutes, reports said.

A civilian who was caught in crossfire was reportedly brought to the Cotabato City hospital. (Ferdinandh Cabrera / MindaNews)

Comments

comments