Dengue cases in Surigao City reach record-high

SURIGAO CITY (MindaNews/25 June)  —  The total number of  dengue cases here has reached a record-high of 147 in the first five months this year with two deaths reported compared with 107 cases for the same period in 2012, with four deaths reported.

Evangeline E. Juarez, assistant statistician in Surigao City Health Office showed MindaNews records in the last five years, indicating a rise in the number of dengue cases.

From January to May this year, 147 cases were recorded compared with 107 for the same period in 2012, 112 in 2011, 111 in 2010 and 75 in 2009.

This year, Barangay Taft topped the number of cases with 63, followed by Barangay Washington’s 43, and Barangay Luna’s 24.

Last year, Barangay Washington topped with 48 cases, followed by Taft with 22 and Barangay Luna with 21.

In 2009, the total number of dengue cases recorded from January to December was 314. In 2010, it went up to 362, dropped to 282 in 2011 and went up to 318  in 2012.

Juarez said most of those stricken with dengue were from age brackets from 1-4, 5-9, 10-14 and 15-19.

She added cases of dengue normally occur from the months of September to January.

Jessica I. Nepomuceno, communicable disease cluster coordinator said the City Health Office is aiming to bring down the cases of dengue.

For the month of June, the office has recorded only two cases as of June 24.

She said this may be the outcome of their aggressive campaign in different villages.

Nepomuceno said that apart from radio plugging, the office reproduced the handouts they got from the Department of Health 13 on the “4 o’clock habit” and shared this to the different villages as part of their information drive.

Health workers also visited the victims’ houses, checked the surroundings and found portions where mosquitoes could breed. (Roel Catoto/MindaNews)

Comments

comments