4 MNLF men killed, 2 soldiers wounded in fresh Zambo clash–military

ZAMBOANGA CITY (MindaNews/20 September) – Four Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) fighters were killed while two soldiers were wounded in a fresh firefight Friday morning, the military said.

Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala, Armed Forces of the Philippines spokesperson, said the firefight ensued shortly past 6 a.m. as government troops continue to scour “areas of concern.”

Zagala, however, did not disclose the particular place where the latest firefight occurred, except in saying that “it was within the area of constriction.”

The areas of constriction include the adjoining barangays of Sta. Catalina and Sta. Barbara, which the MNLF members earlier occupied and held hostage several innocent civilians.

Zagala said the troops have also recovered high-powered firearms in the latest firefight.

Ninety MNLF fighters have so far been reported killed and 93 were either captured or have surrendered since the start of the standoff.

Fourteen government troops were killed while 119 others were wounded since the standoff started when some 200 MNLF members infiltrated this city last September 9.

The troops are continuously scouring the “constriction areas” as the standoff entered Day 12 on Friday. (MindaNews)

Comments

comments