MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/04 November) – The provincial government of Bukidnon sent a total of P4 million in aid to disaster-stricken Bohol and Cebu provinces and Zamboanga City, MindaNews learned on Monday.
Bohol and Cebu were hit by a 7.2-magnitude quake last month which destroyed heritage churches and other infrastructure, and displaced thousands of people.
Zamboanga City is still reeling from the economic and humanitarian crises caused by the 3-week standoff in September between government forces and members of the Moro National Liberation Front-Misuari faction.
According to Ordinance No. 2013-058 approved during the special session of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (SP) on October 25, the amount will be shared as follows: Province of Bohol P2 million; Province of Cebu P1 million; and Zamboanga City P1 million.
The amount came from the appropriation for Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses – Agricultural Assistance of the Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Fund 2013.
The amount will form part of the province’s Supplemental Budget No. 05 of the general fund for this year.
Provincial legal consultant Albert Lagamon personally handed the checks to the three local governments from October 29 to 31, said Hansel Echavez, chief of the Capitol’s Public Affairs and Information and Assistance office.
“To show our deepest compassion to the victims of the tragedy, the Province of Bukidnon wishes to extend financial support/subsidy to the concerned local government units to be taken from the LDRRMF,” Gov. Jose Ma. R. Zubiri Jr. said in his letter to the SP requesting for the financial assistance.
The SP cited the death and destruction brought by the quake in Bohol and Cebu, and the displacement caused by the standoff in Zamboanga.
President Benigno Aquino III has placed these areas under a state of calamity, giving the other local government units the option to extend financial assistance to the victims. (Walter I. Balane/MindaNews)