ZAMBOANGA CITY (MindaNews/10 September) – Suspected Abu Sayyaf bandits released Tuesday a government health worker they seized last month in the province of Sulu, military officials disclosed Wednesday.
Released was Lailani Bernabe, the midwife of the district hospital in Luuk, Sulu. She was held captive for 12 days.
Lt. Gen. Rustico Guerrero, Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) chief, said Bernabe was released around 6 a.m. Tuesday in Barangay Danag, Patikul town.
After her release, Guerrero said Bernabe boarded a passenger jeep to the town of Jolo, the provincial capital, and arrived home around 8 a.m. of the same day.
Abu Sayyaf bandits reportedly led by Arod Wahing abducted Bernabe last August 28 in Barangay Lihbug Kabaw, Panglima Estino town, while she was on her way to work.
Capt. Maria Rowena Muyuela, Westmincom information officer, said Sulu provincial board member Ismun Suhuri facilitated the release of Bernabe.
Muyuela said the military in coordination with the police have intensified their operations against the kidnappers in Sulu. (MindaNews)