1 killed, 7 wounded in blast, ambuscades in Basilan, Sulu

ZAMBOANGA CITY (MindaNews/30 January) – One person was killed while four others were wounded in a bomb explosion and in an ambush in the hinterlands of Basilan province, officials said Friday.

The explosion took place around 8:30 a.m. Friday while the ambush occurred about an hour later. Both incidents took place in Barangay Limbocandis, Sumisip, Basilan.

Senior Insp. Alchmad Alibonga, Sumisip police chief, identified the bomb explosion fatality as Mannah Jallama, 25. Wounded was Sopia Abduhu, 16.

Alibonga said the victims were pasturing their cow in Barangay Limbocandis, Sumisip when Jallama stepped on an improvised bomb fashioned out as a landmine.

Alibonga said Jallama died on the spot while Abduhu was rushed to a hospital for treatment.

He said they were trying to identify the type of bomb that was used as well as the perpetrators.

Meanwhile, three people were injured in an ambush around 9:45 a.m. Friday also in Limbocandis.

Ensign Chester Ian Ramos, Joint Task Force Zambasulta information officer, said the victims were all civilians but their identities were not immediately available.

Ramos said the three civilians were hit by stray bullets when suspected Abu Sayyaf bandits ambushed a group of militiamen conducting security patrol near a government project site in Limbocandis.

He said the bandits fled after a brief firefight.

He said the troops recovered an improvised bomb after the clash.

In Patikul town, Sulu three soldiers were wounded in a 30-minute clash with members of the Abu Sayyaf Friday.

Military reports said it was around 1:30 p.m. when a convoy of the 35th Infantry Battalion bound for Jolo town, the provincial capital, was ambushed by an undetermined number of bandits.

A military ground commander said the soldiers came from the Tubig Patong detachment in Barangay Danag, Patikul, and were approaching Sitio Panding in Bungkaong when the ambush happened.

He said that aside from the three wounded soldiers, two others were injured when they fell from their vehicle.

The attackers withdrew after a 30-minute gunfight, he added. (MindaNews with a report from Frencie Carreon)