Hataman calls for probe on burning, closure of schools in Marawi

COTABATO CITY (MindaNews / 22 Jan) – Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Governor Mujiv Hataman has called an investigation on the reported burning and closure of schools in Marawi City, reportedly over quarrel between administrators and educators.

“This should be investigated thoroughly. It is unacceptable,” Hataman said during the “Tapatan sa ARMM” press briefing Wednesday, stressing that it is the children unable to go to school who are at the losing end.

Last week, three classrooms at the Marawi City Central Pilot Elementary School were reportedly burned by three arsonists late at night. The said school was at the height of a leadership crisis following new appointment of senior school administrators.

Hataman was also taken aback on the case of Sultan Cusain Naga Central Elementary School, also in Marawi, where conflict among educators led to the school’s closure.

Reports said that in the Maranao culture, it is better to just close the school until they could settle the leadership issue than for the problem to worsen.

“I don’t buy the idea that this is because of our culture,” Hataman said. “I have my respect for our culture, but on this sense they are out of context and this administration will run after those who initiated the school closure. They violated a law,” the governor warned.

He pointed out that professionals, teachers included, will have to follow the law. And that they should remember that this is government service and not a game of dirty politics.

Comments

comments