DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 18 Feb) – Construction work at the Generoso Bridge II here will cut off water supply in many parts of the city from Saturday morning (Feb. 21) until 12:01 a.m. Sunday (Feb. 22).
The water interruption is needed to give way for the installation of 750mm diameter butterfly valves on both sides of Gov. Genoroso (Bankerohan) Bridges as part of the ongoing construction of 1000mm diameter pipe bridge crossing between Gov. Genoroso Bridges 1 and 2, according to the Davao City Water District (DCWD).
DCWD general manager Edwin V. Regalado advised residents to store water before the scheduled interruption and asked for the residents’ understanding and cooperation.
“Water supply may be restored earlier if work goes smoothly or later if unforeseen problems arise,” the DCWD statement said.
It promised that the water pressure in the downtown and north areas being served by the Dumoy water supply system would improve after the project.
Areas that will experience low water pressure to no water are as follows:
– Some areas in Pampanga (Beach Side Homes, Insular Village I and II, Waterfront Hotel, Elena Hotel, Nova Tierra Village, Fortune Executive Homes, Sto. Domingo Phases I and II, Pampanga Executive Homes, Belen Homes, Bancom (Model) Homes, Doña Asuncion Subd., San Roque Village, Don Lorenzo Subd., PAL Cloud and Donasville Subd.); and
– Sasa (Doña Paz Subd., Southern Homes, Hacienda Village, Doña Aurelia Village, Marla Compound, Bolton Village, Lougemar Subd., BAT Compound, San Antonio Village, Doña Salud Village, Suha Village, Airview Village, Nelia Ville Subd. I and II, Landmark Village I and Doña Pilar Village).
Areas with no water are as follows:
– Matina (a portion of Mc Arthur Highway particularly from the corner of Tulip Drive to Bankerohan Bridge, MTS, UM Campus, NCCC Mall, ADDU, SIR Phase 1, Agro Compound, Matina Gravahan, Ma-a Gravahan, Morales Village, Palanca Village and Coca-Cola Village.);
– Ma-a (Bugac, Ma-a, Trinidad Greenhills, St. Michael Village, Nacilla Village, Juario Compound, Pantinople Village, DBP Village, Gem Village, Riverview Garden Homes, Don Julian Village, Emerald Village, JPMI Subd., Luzviminda Village, Yñiguez Village, Midland Subd., Purok 28, Pag-asa Village, Del Pilar Village and Monte de Piedad Housing.);
– Bucana (Savina, Sitio Narra, Manggahan, St. John, Sto. Niño, Bilusa, Sanasa and Busna);
– P. Bangoy (RGA Village and Cory Aquamarine Village), the entire Bo. Obrero and Agdao and all downtown areas except for Lizanto Homes, Diho 3 Subd., Napaka Village, Madapo Hills, Don Isidro Village, Everly Subd., Bankerohan Public Market, Fatima Village, Palm Village, Ledesma Subd., Garden Park Village, Sto. Niño Hillside Subd., EMP Village, Marfori Heights, Mineral Village, San Rafael Village and Monfort Village.
People may visit DCWD website (www.davao-water.gov.ph) and official Facebook page (www.facebook.com/davaowater) or call the central information unit / call center through the 24-hour hotline 297-DCWD (3293) and press “1” on their phone dial to listen to latest daily water updates. They may also call / text 0927-7988966, 0925-5113293 and 0908-4410653 for other updates, complaints, queries and matters pertaining to DCWD services.
Construction of the pipes has been delayed following prolonged negotiations with informal settlers living under the bridge.
Originally, the contract between the DCWD and the Department of Public Works and Highways was to last until December 2014.
In an earlier interview, former DCWD spokesperson Imelda Magsuci said the utility had to sign a memorandum of understanding with the DPWH to extend their use of a part of the bridge as a support structure for their smaller pipes, which the currenct construction project is replacing.