GenSan allots P4M to improve city plaza

GENERAL SANTOS CITY (MindaNews / 31 March) – The city government has allotted an initial P4 million for the improvement of the city plaza, which is considered as the city’s main landmark.

City Mayor Ronnel Rivera said such funding will be utilized for the construction of additional recreational facilities and facilitate the further beautification of the Plaza Heneral Santos, which is located in front of the city hall complex.

He said they are looking at developing more attractions as well as improve and repair some of its existing facilities and structures.

The mayor said they will specifically install more lighting structures and facilities at the plaza to enhance security in the area.

“We made it a priority to improve our plaza since it is one of the popular recreational sites of the city. We want to make sure that our people and visitors are comfortable and safe while they are here,” Rivera said in a statement.

Hundreds of residents have been frequenting on a daily basis at the city plaza, which has vastly improved in terms of facilities and maintenance these past several years.

Among the improvements that had been completed were the construction of strategic parking spaces, provision of additional benches and installation of a sound system.

The local government has also rehabilitated the two monuments at the plaza, specifically of national hero Jose Rizal and the city’s acknowledged founder, Gen. Paulino Santos.

Earlier this month, the local government started the construction of another monument in honor of the more than 300 local fishermen who died at the height of typhoon Pablo in Dec. 2012.

The construction of the monument, which has an initial funding of P130,000, was personally pushed by the mayor to pay tribute to the late fishermen.

A total of 328 fishermen went missing and were never found after their fishing boats capsized at the height of typhoon Pablo on Dec. 3, 2012.

The 48 ill-fated fishing vessels, which were maintaining payaos or fish aggregating devices located around 115 nautical miles off the eastern seaboard of Mindanao, were already on their way to the nearest ports when the storm caught on them.

Rivera said the construction of the monument, which faces the Pendatun Avenue here, was supported by the city council.

“We will try to finish the project early next month so we can hold a ceremonial unveiling with the families of the missing fishermen,” he said.

Comments

comments