Davao fire displaces 81 families

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 2 Nov) – Some 81 families were displaced after a massive fire broke out Wednesday evening at Zone 5, Purok Mahayag in Buhangin here.

According to Police Regional Office 11, the fire was triggered by an unattended lighted candle inside the house of Rizalino Monleon around 5 p.m.

The fire immediately spread to neighboring houses, which were also made of light materials. The fire was put out at 6:15 p.m.

Authorities estimated some P1.5 million worth of properties destroyed.

City Social Services and Development Office (CSSDO) head Maria Luisa T. Bermudo said the city government has already dispatched its “Kusina ng Bayan” to provide hot meals to the displaced residents staying at the Buhangin Gym.

She said the city has already provided sleeping mats and blankets to the fire victims.

She added that monitoring and assessment have been ongoing to determine the beneficiaries who will receive financial assistance from the city government – P10,000 for house owners, P5,000 for renters, and P2,000 for boarders. (Antonio L. Colina IV / MindaNews)