MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews/15 November) — The New People’s Army (NPA) on Wednesday expressed apologies for the death of a four-month old baby girl in Talakag, Bukidnon on Thursday last week.
In a statement, NPA spokesperson Jorge “Ka Oris” Madlos said the rebel group “takes full responsibility and expresses remorse for the unfortunate and unnecessary death of an infant and injury to two adult civilians arising from the ambush by an NPA unit in Barangay Tikalaan, Talakag, Bukidnon last November 11.”
The baby girl, along with a policeman, was killed last Thursday in the ambush in Tikalaan.
Capt. Norman Tagros, 403rd Infantry Brigade spokesperson said the baby girl was with her mother on a Toyota Fortuner that was following a police vehicle.
He said the girl’s mother was unscathed but her five other civilian companions were wounded in the attack.
“We hope that the aggrieved families and friends could find it in their hearts, however difficult, to accept our profound apologies. The local NPA unit is already exerting efforts to make amends including extending necessary indemnification,” Madlos said.
“The higher NPA command has already initiated an investigation in order to identify the weaknesses and mistakes and draw lessons to avoid a repeat of such an unfortunate incident,” he said.
He added that “in waging armed revolution, all units of the NPA abide by the policy of giving the highest regard to the rights of civilians and should take pains to ensure that civilians are protected from harm.”
On Sunday, suspected NPA rebels staged another ambush in Barangay Rogongon, Iligan City, leaving an Army sergeant dead and his companion wounded.
In Surigao del Norte, the NPA abducted two policemen in Barangay Bad-as, Placer town on Monday afternoon.
Police provincial director Senior Supt. Anthony Maghari identified the policemen as Police Officer 2 John Paul Doverte and Police Officer 2 Alfredo Degamon. (MindaNews)