CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (MindaNews / 15 December) – Local disaster officials evacuated over 300 persons after flash floods triggered by tropical depression “Urduja” inundated their houses in Balingasag and Lagonglong towns in Misamis Oriental Friday.
Fernando Dy, Misamis Oriental provincial disaster management chief, said the flood waters started to rise on Wednesday night, and by Thursday morning had already affected two more towns namely Claveria and Opol.
Dy said the approach of the Musi-musi bridge in Barangay Baliwagan, Balingasag collapsed because of the rampaging waters stopping vehicular traffic between Cagayan de Oro and Butuan City.
He said some vehicles were forced to use the alternate road between Claveria and Gingoog City.
“Only motorcycles were allowed to cross the bridge. The DPWH was able to repair the bridge after lunch today,” Dy said.
He said at least nine houses were destroyed or damaged in Balingasag and Lagonglong.
In Surigao City, flights were canceled for the second straight day “Urduja” continued to threaten the eastern seaboard of Visayas and Mindanao.
The Philippine Information Agency in Caraga reported that three passenger ships and a cargo vessel had not left the port in Nasipit town, Agusan Del Norte since Wednesday night.
The report said a total of 105 passengers were stranded at the port since Wednesday night. (Froilan Gallardo/MindaNews)