58% of Dabawenyos still support ex-vice mayor Paolo Duterte, says survey

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 26 Feb) – Former city vice mayor Paolo Duterte still enjoys the support of over 50% of Dabawenyos, a survey conducted by the Institute of Popular Opinion of the University of Mindanao said.

Duterte, who resigned on Christmas Day last year over a squabble with his daughter on social media and months after he was implicated in a P6.4-billion shabu (crystal meth) smuggling controversy, continues to enjoy the support of 58% of residents, the survey done from January 31 to February 8 among 1,200 respondents said.

Forty-two percent of the respondents said they have lost their confidence in the former vice mayor.

Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte holds a press conference on Sept. 12, 2017 after he was implicated in the P6,4-billion shabu smuggling case. Mindanews file photo

The survey said 54% of the respondents believe the resignation was unnecessary, 34% support the decision, and 12% are hesitant to give an opinion. It said this indicates that Dabawenyos remain divided on the issue.

It added that those who remain unmoved amid the controversies are mostly found in the city’s 1st District (57%). It gave no figures for the 2nd and 3rd Districts and only said that Duterte maintained a higher popularity rating there.

The President’s elder son served as barangay chair in the 1st District’s Catalunan Grande from 2007 to 2017 and Association of Barangay Councils of Davao City president from 2008 to 2013 before he was elected vice mayor.

The survey showed the former vice mayor appeals more to males (50%) than the combined females (42%) and the LGBTs (8%).

It said he maintained a strong following among the respondents aged 30-39 years old, 42% of whom belong to Class C. He got minimal support from those coming from Class AB (5%) and Class E (8%), but scored 64% among those who earned college education.

The survey added that 47% percent say the council can function without him while 53% are “ambivalent”.

Duterte announced during a special session of the city council on Christmas Day last year that he was resigning from his post, citing “delicadeza” as reason for his resignation.

He and brother-in-law lawyer Manases Carpio were among those implicated as members of the so-called Davao Group which was reportedly behind the P6.4-billion shabu smuggling last May.

The shabu shipment came from China and arrived via the Manila International Container Port in Tondo, Manila on May 16 this year.

Duterte had traded barbs on social media with Isabelle, his daughter with ex-wife Lovelie Sangkola Sumera.

Isabelle got bashed on social media or her “inappropriate” pre-debut pictorial inside Malacañang.

Duterte said the controversies where he figured in are closely tied to his “failed first marriage” with Sumera, the maligning of his reputation after he was dragged into the shabu smuggling case, and public squabble with his daughter.

“The other person in this failed relationship is incorrigible and cannot be controlled. And I take responsibility for all that has happened as a result of a wrong decision to marry at a very young age,” he said.

Duterte was replaced by then Councilor Bernard Al-ag. (Antonio L. Colina IV/MindaNews)

Comments

comments