DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 17 Nov) – The government has started expropriation proceedings to secure six hectares of land to construct a second military camp in Marawi City.
Task Force Bangon Marawi chief Eduardo del Rosario said the Regional State Prosecutor’s Office filed the expropriation proceedings before the Regional Trial Court in Marawi City last week.
“The prosecutor’s office expects a favorable court decision by next week,” Del Rosario told journalists who attended the two-day Mindanao Media Forum in Davao City Friday.
He said the land covers six hectares at the old City Hall site in Barangay Kapantaran.
The proposed military camp will cost about P400 million to construct.
Del Rosario said the government decided to file expropriation proceedings after all efforts to negotiate to buy the land failed.
“The cost of land was about P200 per square meter before the siege of Marawi. Now the owner is selling it about P10,000 per square meter,” he said.
Del Rosario said they also have a problem with the titles presented by the alleged landowners.
The Dansalan College and Carmelite Sisters also claimed ownership of portions of the six hectares of land around the old city hall.
Fedelinda Tawagon, president of the Dansalan College, said the proposed military camp encroached a portion of the 11-hectare farm of the school.
Tawagon said the school wanted compensation should the government use their land for the military camp.
Dansalan College is heavily damaged during the five-month siege with most of it 18 buildings, including a four-story classroom building, destroyed or damaged.
Del Rosario said they have not received a copy of the land title to show that Dansalan College owns the land. (Froilan Gallardo / MindaNews)