DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/ 16 January) – Shellfish gathered at Lianga Bay in Surigao del Sur had been hit by the toxic red tide and are not fit for human consumption, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) warned in a bulletin issued on Monday.
Based on the latest laboratory results shellfishes collected at the bay “are still positive for paralytic shellfish poison that is beyond the regulatory limit,” BFAR said.
The agency said that fish, squids, shrimps and crabs may be consumed provided they are fresh and washed thoroughly, and internal organs such as gills and intestines are removed before cooking.
But it added that Hinatuan and Bislig Bays, also in Surigao del Sure, are free from the red tide toxin. (MindaNews)