DAVAO CITY (MindaNews/19 March) — The City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (DRRMO) on Tuesday ordered the preemptive evacuation of families residing in low-lying areas as tropical depression “Chedeng” weakened into a low pressure area but was still expected to bring heavy rains across Davao Region.
The order covered residents in the following areas:
- Matina Crossing (Purok Guadalupe, Quiniones Compound, Pluto St. GSIS, Shrine Hills Diversion Road, Milky Way St. and Virgo St. GSIS Heights)
- Barangay Mandug (DDF Village Mandug)
- Barangay Buhangin (Purok Damayan)
- Barangay Maa (Juario Village, Purok 9, Shrine Hills, Nacilla Village, Shrine Hills, Dinaville Subdivision, Iñigues Village)
- Barangay 19 (Awhag Subd., Davao River Bank)
- Barangay Matina Pangi (Diversion Road, Old Dumpsite)
- Barangay Tigatto (Purok 16)
- Talomo (Bypass Road)
State weather bureau Pagasa said “Chedeng” would still bring moderate to heavy rains over Davao Region.
At the same time, the city government announced the cancellation of work at the City Hall effective 1:00pm Tuesday “to lessen the volume of people going home in the afternoon.”
It said the LPA may cause street flooding in some parts of the city which may result in pedestrian and traffic congestion.
Free bus rides would be provided starting at 3:00pm from City Hall to Toril, Calinan, Buhangin and Bunawan.
In its final bulletin on “Chedeng” on Tuesday, Pagasa said the tropical depression made landfall around 5:30am over Malita in Davao Occidental and has weakened into a low pressure area.
Moderate to heavy rains will still be experienced over Surigao del Sur, Agusan del Sur, Davao Region, Soccsksargen, and portions of Northern Mindanao, Bangsamoro and Zamboanga Peninsula. (Mart Sambalud/MindaNews)