CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (MindaNews/18 July) — Floodwaters that inundated Tuesday six towns in Lanao del Norte subsided on Wednesday as the southwest monsoon triggered by Tropical Storm “Falcon” moved northward.
Titus Velez of the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) in Northern Mindanao said many of the 7,644 persons affected by the flashflood had already returned home Wednesday afternoon.
“There was no rain experienced today in the entire province of Lanao del Norte,” Velez said.
Last Wednesday waters from the mountains of Lanao del Norte rushed down the rivers to inundate the towns of Tubod, Lala, Salvador, Kapatagan, Sapad and Sultan Naga Dimaporo.
“The flood waters were similar to that of typhoon Vinta of 2017. It came rushing down from the mountains,” Joy Garcia, a Lala resident said.
Garcia said flood waters began rising at 5am Wednesday and by 3pm had inundated the town.
Rosauro Arnel Gonzales, of OCD Region 10, said mandatory evacuation started as early as 12 noon on Wednesday in areas they have identified as flood-prone.
He said six houses were totally destroyed in Sultan Naga Dimaporo.
He said classes in all levels were suspended by 9am Wednesday but will resume on Thursday. (Froilan Gallardo/MindaNews)