1,362 displaced by Hanna’s waves in Davao City

Want create site? With Free visual composer you can do it easy.

DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 5 Aug) – The Regional Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (RDRRMC)-Davao Region reported that 1,362 individuals residing along the eight coastal barangays in Davao City were displaced by huge waves spawned by Tropical Storm “Hanna” since August 3.

In a report released by RDRRMC-11 on Monday, the agency said 96 houses were completely destroyed and 140 more partially damaged as of Sunday evening.

It said the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) and its counterparts in the barangays have responded to the communities and continued the monitoring activities in affected areas.

The RDRRMC-Davao added that the City Social Services and Development Office has set up a community kitchen to provide hot meals to affected individuals and coordinated with the Department of Social Welfare and Development for the release of other assistance packages.

According to the weather forecast released 6 p.m. by the Philippine, Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), the center of the tropical storm was estimated at 845 kilometers east of Aparri, Cagayan at 3 p.m. today.

RDRRMC-Davao said the affected residents are staying in barangay halls, parks, barangay gymnasiums, and chapels.

The CDRRMO said the areas affected were Purok 8, Block 50, Barangay 21-C; Block 6 and 7, Barangay 22-C; Purok 4, Isla Verde, Barangay 23-C; Purok 13, Seaside, Barangay Bago Aplaya; Sabroso Village in Ecoland and St. John, Barangay Bucana; Purok Kalubin-an, Barangay Daliao; Purok Masea, Barangay Duterte; and Purok 1 and Purok 3, San Nicolas, Barangay Matina Aplaya.

Alfredo D. Baloran, CDRRMO officer-in-charge, said most of the affected houses were shanties built along the coastal areas, many of them owned by the illegal settlers whose houses were built on stilts above the water.

Baloran said stubborn residents who refused to heed their call for preemptive evacuation had been rescued. The displaced residents were provided with hot meals from the City Social Services and Development Office, he added.

He said the residents along the coastal barangays had been alerted since a month ago of the possible strong waves. (Antonio L. Colina IV / MindaNews)

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.

Comments

comments