KIDAPAWAN CITY (MindaNews / 8 Oct) – One of the alleged suspects in the killing of a radio journalist here last July 10 surrendered to the local police around 10 a.m. on Monday.
Sotero Jacolbe Jr., also known as Jun Jacolbe who is also a broadcaster, said there is no reason to hide from authorities.
“I know myself. My family, relatives, and friends also know me. I will face the court. Truth will set me free,” he said.
The warrant for the arrest of Jacolbe and the alleged hitman, Jonel Geruzaga, was issued last week by Judge Henelinda Molina Diaz of the Regional Trial Court Branch 61.
Only Jacolbe has so far yielded to authorities.
It was learned that the arrest order of another suspect, a certain Bong Encarnacion whose real name is Dante Tabosares, has not been released.
Sources said Tabosares filed a motion for review at the Department of Justice (DoJ) before Judge Diaz could issue warrant of arrest.
Jacolbe is placed under the custody of the Kidapawan City PNP and anytime this week he will be presented to court for proper disposition.
Jacolbe, Geruzaga, and Encarnacion were accused of conniving to kill Edgardo “Ed” Dizon, anchor of the Brigada News FM Kidapawan, on July 10. (Malu Cadelina Manar / MindaNews)
MindaNews is the news service arm of the Mindanao Institute of Journalism. It is composed of independent, professional journalists who believe and practice people empowerment through media.