MALAYBALAY CITY (MindaNews / 19 November) — Five local government units in Bukidnon suspended classes in all school levels on Tuesday to allow building officials to assess the safety of structures after a magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck the area at 9:22 p.m. Monday.
The suspension of classes was declared in the towns of Kadingilan, Don Carlos, Maramag and San Fernando and Valencia City.
The Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (LDRRMO) of Kadingilan reported four persons were rushed to the nearest hospitals, two due to “severe anxiety,” one due to head injury while the other fainted.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) pegged the quake’s epicenter somewhere between Kadingilan and Don Carlos towns, although Kadingilan appeared to have sustained more damage to houses and public buildings.
In an interview over DXDB-Malaybalay, Kadingilan Mayor Jerry Canoy Sr. said that after the quake they went around the town and advised residents to stay outside their homes for the whole night to prevent injuries in case of aftershocks.
Canoy said he did not allow the residents to stay in the municipal gym, as he could not assure that it was still safe.
He said he ordered the suspension of classes but municipal employees were told to report to work to help in clearing the town’s legislative and executive buildings of debris.
He said both buildings sustained damage but their foundations and beams were not affected.
The LDRRMO said a Rapid Damage Assessment and Needs Analysis (RDANA) team has been deployed to all 17 barangays together with the Bureau of Fire Protection, Philippine National Police and the 88th IB of the Philippine Army.
The LDRRMO report as of 8:31 a.m. on Tuesday, said cracks were noted in the Rural Health Unit building while the ceiling of the Office of the Municipal Health Officer collapsed.
A classroom on the second floor of San Isidro High School and a classroom at the San Isidro Elementary School were declared unsafe.
The report said “ceiling fell down (detached)” in San Isidro High School. It is not clear in the report if this is the room that has been declared unsafe.
One room in the pre-school of the SDA School has also been declared unsafe.
In the Kadingilan Central Elementary School, the LDRRMO report said the “reservoir cracked,” one room has been condemnded and three rooms – for Grades 1, 2 and 4 – have been declared unsafe.
Cracks were also noted on the wall of the FICCO (First Community Cooperative) Building.
In Barangay Sibonga, the LDRRMO said 56 households affected. Eight houses suffered “major damages” such as “falling concrete,” shattered glass, cracks on the wall. Some and “kitchen and comfort room fell down.”
In Barangay Kibogtok, seven households were affected and portions of the ceiling collapsed and cracks were found on the wall of the health center.
In Barangay Husayan, seven houses were totally damaged while two houses had been declared unsafe for habitation.
In Barangay Pay-as, the LDRRMO reported several houses partially damaged. Residents were advised to stay outdoors.
In Barangay Cabadiangan, cracks were seen on the posts of the public terminal and appliances were reported damaged in three houses.
The San Andres National High School Annex in Cabadiangan had cracks on some walls and posts of the two-storey building. The ceiling made of hardiflex collapsed.
In Kibalagon Elementary School, two classrooms were declared unsafe; cracks on the walls were noted as well as “debris from classroom wall.”
In Barangay Salvacion, barangay chair Rodrigo Casas said at least 10 houses in his village were damaged.
No damages were reported in Bagongbayan, Bagor, Balaoro, Baroy, Mabuhay, Matampay, Pinamangguan and San Andres.
In Maramag, at least 80 families in Barangay Camp 1 evacuated to the village’s covered court after the quake.
As of 9:44 a.m., 42 aftershocks had been recorded by Phivolcs. (MindaNews)