DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 23 Dec) – Mayor Sara Duterte urged Dabawenyos to remain vigilant following the blast in Cotabato City Sunday evening, which was followed by explosions in the nearby town of Libungan in North Cotabato and Upi in Maguindanao.
Duterte told reporters in an interview on Monday that the security sector in Davao City had already prepared to thwart similar threats days before as they had been warned ahead.
“Before the bombing happened yesterday, a few days ago—maybe 5 to 7 days— they had already received information that there would be a bombing incident. Though Davao City was not in the list, we acted as if it’s among the areas that would be subject to attack,” the mayor said.
She said the Task Force Davao and the Davao City Police Office had sought help from the public to report any information on possible threats to the local authorities to help them secure the city.
“We have always campaigned for the culture of security in our city,” she said.
Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC) head Angel Sumagaysay added the security measures are already in place.
“In Davao city, security is already in place. All we have to do is to maintain our security. If there is a need to level up the security measures, then we will do it. But as what I have said, the security is in place. We have the coordination with the security sector and support of public for us to secure the city,” he said. (Antonio L. Colina IV / MindaNews)