DAVAO CITY (MindaNews / 15 Jan) – A fire caused by an overheated ceiling fan destroyed on Wednesday around 60 houses made of light materials and left one person injured at Rayco Purok 2 Bankerohan River side, Barangay 5-A, Davao City.
In an interview, Fire Insp. Shaira Borja, spokesperson of the Davao City Fire District, said firefighters were immediately dispatched upon receiving a report at 10:55 a.m. They managed to put out the fire at 3:23 p.m. or more than five hours later.
She said the fire emanated from the house of a certain Annie Balaga.
Balaga’s 29-year-old son Anastacio told fire investigators that he could feel the heat coming off a room next to their living room while watching television, and shortly thereafter a fire engulfed their house. Anastacio suspected an overheated ceiling fan might have caused the fire, according to Borja.
“We would like to remind the Dabawenyo to always unplug any appliances and never leave them unattended. Make sure to unplug it if you are no longer using it to prevent overheating,” she said.
Borja said a person known to residents only by his nickname, “Opaw,” was injured during the incident. (Antonio L. Colina IV / MindaNews)